Despite working with meat as a profession, I am beginning to enjoy vegan meals more and more often. Plant-based dishes are super trendy. These kale crisps are terribly moreish and like the generic potato chip, leave the seasoning all over your fingers for licking. The nutritional yeast mimics the cheesiness – ooh, and does it so well! Omit the cayenne, should you not be into the hot stuff. The carnivores in our house simply cannot get enough of these – and I am for certain you won’t be able to either!
180g Fresh kale
1 tbsp avocado oil (or any other veggie oil in your pantry)
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan setting.
- Spread kale over two large oven sheets. Ensure kale is washed and dried thoroughly. The less water droplets on the leaves the better.
- Mix yeast, paprika, cayenne pepper and salt together in a small bowl. Drizzle oil over kale and season with your spice blend. Using your hands, toss kale to ensure a thorough coating of seasoning.
- Bake for 15 – 20 min. Check and turn kale occasionally during baking to ensure adequate drying and to prevent burning. Note: You will notice the kale gives off a lot of steam each time you open the oven, thus tossing the kale during baking is very important.
- Bake until kale is dry and crunchy. Remove from the oven, leave to cool and package in an airtight container.
Keeps for 3 days. Heath conscious.